Knock knees is the condition that involves a leg abnormality which shows a large gap between the feet while standing with the knees together.
Knock knees medically termed as Genu Valgum, is the condition that involves a leg abnormality. This abnormality creates a large gap between the feet while standing with the knees together.
It is mostly found among the small children around the age of 2-4 years and sometimes it will last up to 8 years.
Well, if you are concerned about your children health and want to know more about Knock knees then you are at right place.
Causes of Knock Knees
Knock knees are normal in young children but if the problem persists or seen later in life then there may need an underlying medical cause.
Some of the causes that can contribute to knock knees includes;
- Rickets - problems with bone development resulting from a lack of vitamin D and calcium
- Excessive pressure on the knees - Obesity or loose of knee ligaments
- Injury or infection -Fractures of the shinbone or leg bones
- Genetic Factor - affecting the development of the bones or joints
- Birth/Development- When children are in the mother’s womb some of the children knees are positioned in a bent manner which results bowlegged babies.
Symptoms of Knock Knees
Symptoms aren’t typical in children with knock knees, but if it persists beyond a particular age and it can cause pain in the legs.
Source: Sutherland Podiatry
Another way to identify it is analyzing the gap between the ankle and more than 4 inches is an indication of knock knees.
If knock knees that don't improve on their own then it can place extra pressure under your knee which may increase high risk of developing arthritis.
In most cases, knock knees don't need to be treated because the problem tends to correct itself as a child grow.
Mild knock knees that persist into adulthood don't need to be treated unless they're causing problems of knee pain.
Surgery for knock knees is merely nedded although it may be recommended if the condition is severe.
There are two main types of operation that may be carried out;
- Guided growth – It involves placing small metal plates on the inside of the knees which helps to correct the growth over a period of around 12 months.
- Osteotomy – Involves the cutting and straightening of the bone in the leg in order to correct the angle of the knee.
Source: Research Gate
In order to treat Knock Knee caused by a vitamin deficiency, taking the vitamin you are deficient is one of the best method of getting rid of your Knock Knee.
You may take medications that help your bones and mineralize it or you can prefer medication to increase bone density.
Source: Ask Dr. Judi
Other treatments includes;
- Physical therapy
Well, the above mentioned information would be beneficial but for further details you may consult with your doctors.