People who are involved in similar fields are often likelier to fall for each other since they share a common topic of conversation. This was arguably the key aspect in Neil DeGrasse Tyson's love life when he bumped into his future spouse for the very first time.
Tyson is enjoying a blissful married life of three decades with his wife and two kids. The family of four couldn't look more adorable together.
Neil deGrasse Tyson's Married Life
Neil deGrasse Tyson is married to his beautiful wife Alice Young. The couple tied the knot in 1988.
Neil deGrasse Tyson with his wife Alice Young
Source: Live Roger
Neil met his future wife for the first time while he was attending a physics class at the University of Texas at Austin.
Also, Read; Manuela Markworth Naomi Lichtsteiner and Stephan Lichtsteiner married life
Alice previously worked as an IT manager for Bloomberg Financial Markets. She has a Ph.D. in mathematical physics and it was, in fact, a physics class that brought them together.
The couple shares two children together, a daughter named Miranda Tyson (named after one of Uranus's major moon) and a son named Travis Tyson.
Neil deGrasse Tyson with his wife and kids
Neil's eldest child Miranda graduated from high school in 2014. She currently studies at Harvard University. As for Travis, not much is known about Neil's son as the family has kept his personal life private.
Don't Miss; Christi Paul married life and know her husband Peter Paul
The couple is very much media friendly personalities who love attending public events, most notably red carpet of the awards shows.
On January 28, 2018, the pair was spotted at the 60th Annual Grammy Awards Celebration at Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York City.
Neil deGrasse Tyson and Alice Young attending Grammy Awards
Neil looked a proper gentleman in his black tuxedo while his better half looked charming in her black and white attire.
The family of four resides in Lower Manhattan. It is not far from the 9/11 Ground Zero site and Neil witnessed the collapse of the World Trade Center towers in 2001.
Meanwhile, Tyson is a fine-wine enthusiast with an extensive collection of wines. Numerous articles about his wine collection have featured in wine connoisseurs magazines.
Discover; Richard Armitage married rumor and reality
In an inspirational memoir titled The Sky is Not the Limit, Tyson told his own story revealing personal stories about growing up in New York City. Moreover, he deftly touched the racial topic explaining how being black changed his life.
Neil deGrasse Tyson Was Once Voted 'Sexiest Astrophysicist Alive'
Back in High School, Tyson was described as "a nerd who could kick your butt". Neil's muscular physique on top of his charisma and looks ensured People magazine to name him Sexiest Astrophysicist Alive. He is believed to be the only astrophysicist to win this honor.
Neil deGrasse Tyson was voted 'Sexiest Astrophysicist Alive' in 2000
People magazine wrote in 2000:
"As passionate about earthly pleasures as those celestial, the 6'2" Tyson indulges his love of wine and gourmet cooking while succumbing to the gravitational pull of his wife of 12 years, mathematical physics Ph.D. Alice Young."
Even as a teenager during his high school days, Neil had a clear strategy for romancing girls. He'd grab his telescope, bring his date to the rooftop of a nearby building where he lived with his family. The charming Tyson would then promise his dates to the stars.
Speaking of rooftops, Tyson said:
"Rooftops are ideal for exploring both kinds of heavenly bodies."
Apparently, the stargazing trick did not work on his wife Alice. The rooftop Romeo had met his match. Young said:
"I’d already taken astrophysics, so it wasn’t exotic for me."
Perhaps the astrophysicist was destined to be someone who did not fall for the rooftop trick. This does make it feel like the couple was always made for each other. He is also a wine enthusiast and in the May 2000 issue of Wine Spectator, his collection was featured. His collection was also featured in the Spring 2005 issue of The World of Fine Wine.
Neil deGrasse Tyson: Quick Facts
- Born on 5th October 1958 in New York City.
- His birth sign is Libra.
- His parents are Sunchita Maria Tyson and Cyril deGrasse Tyson.
- His Puerto Rican mother was a gerontologist for the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.
- His African-American father was a sociologist, human resource commissioner, and the first Director of Harlem Youth Opportunities Unlimited.
- He has two siblings named Joseph Tyson and Lynn Antipas Tyson.
- He was raised in the Castle Hill neighborhood of the Bronx before moving to Riverdale.
- His gained his interest in astronomy at the age of nine after visiting the sky theater of the Hayden Planetarium.
- He attempted to bring science to the mainstream with an educational science program named NOVA ScienceNow which ran on PBS from 2006 to 2011.
- He had a huge role in dismissing Pluto as a planet.
- He was the host of the documentary series Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (2014).
- He was on the rowing and the wrestling teams during his college years.
- He earned a PhD. in astrophysics from Columbia University in 1991.
- He was appointed by President George W. Bush to serve on the Commission on the Future of the United States Aerospace Industry in 2001.
- He earned the NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal in 2004.
- He made several guest appearances on HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher.
- His net worth is estimated to be $2 million.
- He is active on Twitter where he has around 13 million followers and on Facebook has 4.3 million followers.