"Illness sometimes teaches a person the real worth of life." British newsreader and presenter George Alagiah is a fighter!!!!!!
The popular journalist George suffered a lot but his wife and family were always by his side. So, today, let us discuss her married life, children, and battle with cancer in this section!!!!!
George Alagiah: His Married Life with wife Frances Robathan: Blessed with two children
George tied a knot to Frances in the year 1984. They have been together since they met for the first time at Durham University when Frances was 19 and George 20.
The duo is living a blissful conjugal life and is also blessed with two children; sons, Adam, 30, and Matt, 25.
Well, the couple has been together for almost 33 years with no divorce rumors and affairs.
George Alagiah: A Cancer Survivor
"You're allowed to scream....you're allowed to cry......but do not give up". We have seen many people fighting cancer and winning over the disease and George Alagiah is one of them.
After 18 months of fighting with colorectal cancer, George must have wondered if he would ever return to his old life and the job he loves most.
He was first diagnosed with bowel cancer in April 2014; the terrifying journey of the guy. George recalled the memory and said,
"The doctors are very careful in what they say, so you have to read between the lines and work out what they’re not saying."
"When the oncologist was looking at my scan, he kept gently shaking his head, and every time he did it was like a hammer blow. They described my condition as “serious”, and I knew it was as bad as it gets. No one uses the d-word. You have to work that out for yourself."
While he was on a trip to South Sudan in March 2014 he spotted some blood in his stools he felt easy; anyway, he visited his GP in case.
He was diagnosed with stage four bowel cancer- the most advanced stage, where cancer, has spread from its original site.
Further scans showed that the cancerous cells spread to his lymph nodes along with his liver.
It was a great relief, however, that the cancer was operable with a devastating twist. Alagiah would undergo 17 rounds of chemotherapy and three major operations.
He looks slim and perfect this time. Most people thought that he would look terrible after the surgery.
Quick Facts about George Alagiah
- Born on 22 November 1955 in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- His parents Donald Alagiah, an engineer, and Therese were Sri Lankan Tamil.
- Studied at the King International School and later studied at St. John's College.
- Learned politics at Van Mildert College, Durham University.
- Initially became editor of the student newspaper Palatinate.
- Worked on South Magazine from 1982 until joining the British Broadcasting Corporation.
- Joined BBC in 1989 as a correspondent.
- Was the presenter of BBC Four News in 2002 including the BBC Six O'Clock News in 2003 with Sophie Raworth and Natasha Kaplinsky.
- Presented World News Today on BBC World News and BBC Two in 2006.
- Worked in BBC News at Ten when Fiona Bruce was absent on the show.
- Is one of the BBC team collecting a BAFTA award for the coverage of the Kosovo conflict.
- Won a number of awards including Best International Report at the Royal Television Society in 1993 and was the overall winner of the Amnesty International UK Media Awards in 1994.
- Also the Outstanding Achievement in Television award at the Asian Awards in 2010.
For more updates and current gossip of celebs visit our official page.