Among one of the renowned and celebrated names in the Formula One racing drivers of the early 2000s, David Coulthard can be considered as one of them. The retired Scottish driver is the former Formula One racing driver who, in his career, raced for teams like McLaren and Red Bull. In his career, he has won Grand Pix, finished third in the World Drivers' Championship, and was runner-up in the 2001 Formula One Drivers' Championship.
Who Is David Coulthard's Wife?
David Coulthard is living a happy married life with his beautiful wife, Karen Minier. His partner Karen is a Belgian television presenter and former model who previously worked for the French TF1 show "F1 in one."
The pair first met the charming journalist in 2005, and rumors of their dating appeared in December 2005. Just a couple of months after that, the two became engaged on June 02, 2006.
In 2008, the couple became parents for the first time when they welcomed their son Dayton Minier Coulthard. The Scottish race car driver insisted that he won't be settling down soon and will remain a bachelor for a while, but he assured he would marry Karen in the future.
At that time, David was in Monaco while his then-finance resided in Brussels. During their off days, they would often come to meet each other.
Married In Monaco
Coulthard finally got hitched in December 2013. The pair reportedly had a secret wedding in Monaco.
The duo's wedding was attended by family, friends, and close ones with Prince Albert as the guest of honor. Since that day onwards they the Formula One driver has been living happily with his partner and child.
As an active user of social media, he occasionally posts pictures with his family.
Past Relationships And Affairs
As good of a partner and father, he might be right now; he was not that way in the past. He dated several women in the past, and in fact, he was once famous for changing girlfriends faster than his tires at a Grand Prix pitstop.
The Scottish race car driver's first serious relationship was with Andrea Murray, with whom he began dating in 1991. He dated the Canadian model for six years and later split with her in 1997 after he found his new love, American model Heidi Wichlinski.
The two went on to date for four years and even exchanged rings, becoming engaged on the night of the new year 2000. Just a year after that, due to differences, Coulthard and Heidi ended their relationship.
After the split with the American model, the 13 times Grand Prix winner soon started romancing with Brazilian model Simone Abdelnour whom he met while attending Naomi Cambell's birthday party in St Tropez.
Two years later, he became engaged with Simone in 2003 and began living together. But the bond could not last long as he dumped the Brazilian beauty after commencing his love with his current spouse Karen.
Other than this, he was also linked with models Kendja Demoraes, Heidi Klum, and actress Ruth Taylor.
Was In a Big Crash In 2000
On May 02, 2000, David Coulthard leased the Learjet with his friend David Murray. Along with his then-fiance Heidi Wichlinski, he was traveling to Nice, however, on the route to Cote d'Azur Internationa Airport, Niece, the aircraft suffered engine failure, and the plane had to crash land.
While attempting an emergency landing at the Satolas Airport near Lyon, Coulthard and his finacee, along with his body gaurd, had minor injuries, however, pilot David Saunders and co-pilot Daniel Worley were fatally injured.
Both David and Daniel were taken to a hospital in Lyon but were later pronounced dead. Subsequently, upon investigation, it was found that the pilots skillfully maneuvered the aircraft and caused it to nosedive while landing and avoided any severe damage, which enabled the passengers to have less impact.
The Scottish racecar driver was fortunate enough to live to drive another day, and he might as well give thanks to the two pilots who saved his life that day.
David Coulthard's Net Worth
From his prosperous career as a Formula One racer, he holds a net worth of $80 million, as of 2019. In 2004, he signed a one-year contract worth $2.36 million (£1.8 million) with Red Bull.
Check out the clip of David Coulthard driving his car!
As a multi-millionaire, he owns several houses in Monaco, Switzerland, London, and Belgium. In addition to that, he has a fleet of supercars and a 45ft yacht.
Coulthard is also the brand ambassador of the German automobile company, Mercedes-Benz. He also assisted in the development of the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG. The talented race car driver owns a midnight blue (904G) 1971 Mercedes-Benz W113 280 SL, which was built on the same day he was born.
With all the riches he possesses, he is, in short, the definition of a rich person!
The skilled car race driver has a few books under his belt. He published his autobiography book titled "It is what it is: The Autobiography" (Price= $17), A Driven Man: What F1 Teaches Us About the Business of Life David Coulthard (Price= $25.24), and The Winning Formula: Leadership, Strategy, and Motivation The F1 Way (Price $25.81).
Quick Facts: David Coulthard
- David Coulthard was born in Twynholm, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland.
- He is the only son of Duncan Coulthard and Elizabeth Joyce Coulthard.
- David grew up with his two younger sisters, Elaine Rowan and half-sister Lynsay Jackson.
- His grandfather was also a motor racer and competed in the Monte Carlo Rally.
- Growing up, he looked up to Formula One World Champions Jim Clark, Nigel Mansell, and Alain Prost.
- The talented driver attended the Kirkcudbright Academy receiving eight O Level certificates.
- He began karting when his father gifted him with his first-ever kart as present on his eleventh birthday.
- In 1989, he won P&O Ferries Formula Ford 1600 Junior Championship.
- In 1993, he Williams Grand Prix Engineering team hired David as their official test driver.
- He won his first Grand Prix in Portugal in the 1995 season.
- He made his Formula 3000 race debut in Spain, where he qualified in the eighth position.
- In 1995, he won his first-ever Formula One race victory.
- In 2003, he won the Australian Grand Prix.
- On December 04, 2004, Coulthard participated in his first-ever Race of Champions for Great Britain alongside 1995 World Rally Champion Colin McRae.
- On December 17, 2004, he moved to Red Bull for the 2005 season and drove alongside Austrian driver Christian Klien.
- David announced his retirement from Formula One in July 2008.
- He finished his career with 535 career points, 12 Pole Positions, and 13 wins altogether.
- Coulthard is an ambassador for the spinal injuries charity Wings For Life.
- Coulthard was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2010 Birthday Honours for services to motorsport.
- David's cousin is Fabian Coulthard, who is also a racing driver.
- In his free time, he likes drinking whiskey, listening to radio, and cycling.
- He became British songwriter Chris Hughes'best man when he married Amanda Holden in 2008.
- A museum in his home village, Twynholm, was dedicated to him was run by Coulthard's younger sister, who passed away in February 2013. The museum has now been closed.
David Coulthard Affairs
First Affair with Andrea Murray
David Coulthard' was in a romantic relationship with Andrea Murray. The two dated for around six years before calling it quits.
Second Affair with Heidi Wichlinski
The former racecar driver David Coulthard dated Heidi Wichlinski for about four years. His former girlfriend Heidi is an American model.
Third Affair with Simone Abdelnour
David Coulthard was in a romance with Simone Abdelnour for four years. Simone is a Brazilian model.