Meryl Streep has played realistic characters during her lifetime but the most incredible role that she's played so far is the amazing role of a mother and loving wife. She has been happily married to her sculptor husband, Don Gummer, for 39 long years, blessed with four children- the rarest thing in the film world.
Streep was totally devastated when her previous love John Cazale died of bone cancer in 1978, but she found the reason to move on after she met Don Gummer. Let's get details about the pair relationship in today's section.
The Iron Lady star Meryl Streep's Married Life With Don Gummer; Lasted As Long As Her Career
Every love story on earth is unique and beautiful. The romantic life of Meryl Streep is something that you really wished it would be yours.
Streep first met her future husband sculptor Don Gummer when he lent his apartment to Meryl after her ex-boyfriend John Cazale; known for The Godfather and The Deer Hunter died of bone cancer.
Meryl Streep with husband Don Gummer the lovely couple attending an event
Streep was devastated that her brother, Harry William III took her to stay in an apartment in Gummer when he was traveling abroad.
The moment Gummer returned back, the two fell for each other and married within six months after the encounter on 30 September 1978.
Meryl Streep and husband Don Gummer at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion at the L.A. Music Center
When Streep was asked about her love life with Gummer, she replied,
"I haven’t got over John’s death, but I’ve got to go on living and Don has shown me how to do that."
The couple has completed more than 39 years of their beautiful married life blessed with four kids, son Henry Wolfe and three daughters Mamie Gummer, Grace Gummer, and Louisa Gummer.
The entire family was on hand to support Meryl Streep when she won the AFI Lifetime Achievement
Gummer has been by Streep's side in every success of her; during a number of industry events and award shows in the years since.
The Into the Woods actress who always mentioned God for her Oscar wins; mentioned her darling husband in a sweet Oscar acceptance speech at the 2012 Academy Awards.
When she won the best actress for The Iron Lady, she said,
"First I'm going to thank Don because when you thank your husband at the end of the speech they play him out with the music, and I want him to know that everything I value most in our lives you've given me."
They have happily passed years of married life without any divorce or extra-affairs. Cheers for this wonderful couple!
Meryl Streep's Past Relationship with John Cazale: How She Lost Her Love?
Streep was at the beginning of her successful career when she met actor John Cazale; the time both appeared in Shakespeare's Measure for Measure.
He is known for his role as Fredo Corleone in the first two Godfather movies. Streep and Cazale were very serious about their relationship that they lived together.
Meryl Streep and her late boyfriend John Cazale
Source: The Quint
The two were so delighted when they achieved an opportunity to appear in major roles in the film, The Deer Hunter. It was the time when Cazale was diagnosed with bone cancer.
His condition was so critical that he was about to lose his last movie. A threat of Streep to leave the movie stopped the producers firing him from the project.
The former couple in The Deer Hunter
Source: your Magazine
Instead, everything was rearranged and Cazale's shots were taken first when he was still well enough.
Streep was by Cazale's side throughout the time he took his last breath. Co-star Robert de Niro explained about Streep's love towards her love, Cazale and stated,
"I’ve hardly ever seen a person so devoted to someone who is falling away like John was. To see her in that act of love for this man was overwhelming."
As soon as the movie ended, Cazale was admitted to the hospital. He didn't survive long enough to attend the premiere of the movie and died in the month of March 1978 at the age of 42.
Meryl Streep: Quick Facts
- Born on 22 June 1949 in Summit, New Jersey to the family of Mary Wilkinson Streep and Harry William Streep, Jr.
- Her birth sign is Cancer.
- She stands at a height of 5.511 feet (1.68m).
- She is American Nationality; belongs to German, Swiss, English, and Irish ancestry.
- She studied at Cedar Hill Elementary School and later the Oak Street School.
- Also attended Bernards High School.
- She took the formal singing lesson when she was just 12 to become an opera singer.
- She performed in a number of school plays during her high school years.
- She performed in varied roles on stage, including Helena in A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- Prior to acting, she used to work as a waitress in a hotel to support herself.
- She made her screen debut in the TV movie The Deadliest Season and made a movie debut in Julia.
- She is best known for her works in Silkwood, Out of Africa, Ironweed, Evil Angels, and Music of the Heart.
- She's earned a total of 21 Oscar nominations in her career.
- She has an estimated net worth of about $90 million as of Celebrity net worth whereas it is about $45 million as of the Richest.