John Goodman is most known for his on-screen romance with actress Roseanne Barr; the most loving and caring husband Dan Conner on Roseanne. His life behind the camera is going smoothly as well with the wife of three decades Anna Beth Goodman.
It was all because of his wife, Goodman is sober now. He was fed up with his alcoholism but his caring wife helped him get out of the addiction.
'Roseanne' Actor John Goodman Living A Blessed Life With Anna Beth Goodman
The then football player John Goodman met his future wife Anna Elizabeth Hartzog for the first time in New Orleans in 1987 while filming Everybody's All-American. She was the student of fine arts at the University of New Orleans.
Something between the two definitely started between the two during the first encounter. After a year of dating, the couple got engaged on the Mississippi River in spring 1989 and married in the month of November the same year in New Orleans.
After a year of living a wonderful family life, they welcomed their first and the only daughter Molly Evangeline Goodman in August 1990. She's currently working as a production assistant in the film industry.
Goodman and his lovely wife Anna have been together for more than three decades supporting each others' highs and lows in a better way. We wish to see them together until the end.
John Goodman's Alcohol Addiction: Story How His Wife Helped Him Overcome
Goodman first opened up about his alcohol addiction during a 2009 interview.
"I don't know how much the old Jackie Daniel's franchise ruined my memory, which is going anyway, because of my advancing decrepitude. I had a 30-year run, and at the end I didn't care about anything. I was just fed up with myself. I didn't even want to be an actor anymore."
"I'd have the shakes so bad I'd have to have a drink to get through the show. I'm lucky I never got fired."
In 2018, he opened up that it is his wife helped him a lot to beat his alcoholism. He disclosed that he almost reached a breaking point when he missed a rehearsal for the 2007 Emmys before accepting the prestigious honor.
Here's John Goodman talking about his addiction. Have a look:
"[Annabeth] made some phone calls," he shared. "She got me into a treatment center, and I detoxed there and decided I liked the feeling."
He's been sober for 10 years now and it's all because of love and support of his beloved wife. Now, he attends the Alcoholics Anonymous meeting every morning.
Long live the adorable couple!
John Goodman: Quick Facts
- Born on 20 June 1952 in Affton, Missouri to the family of Leslie Francis Goodman and Virginia Roos (née Loosmore).
- He belongs to Welsh, German, and English descent.
- He studied at Affton High School.
- He received a football scholarship from the Missouri State University.
- He completed his graduation in 1975 in Bachelors of Fine Arts.
- After getting serious injuries, he ended his college football career and decided to be an actor.
- He received wide recognition playing the role of Dan Conner on the ABC TV series Roseanne alongside Roseanne Barr, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, and Natalie West.
- He has an estimated net worth of about $65 million at present.